4 Simple Steps to Zipcar Freedom
The beauty of car clubs is that it just makes sense. It’s there when you need it and not when you don’t. Just imagine never having to make a car payment, pay a car insurance bill, or worry about the cost of fuel again. Hooray!
Fuel, insurance, Congestion Charge & daily mileage are on us
We throw in all the necessities: fuel, insurance, and up to 60 miles/day. (Of course if you go to Ikea, the meatballs are on you.)
Your very own Zipcard
Be a card-carrying Zipcar member. This magical card unlocks thousands of cars (and exclusive deals) in cities around the world.
Frequently Asked Questions
Of course you have questions. It’s not every day someone decides to hand you the keys to a brand new car.
How do I join?
What's included in my membership?
A Zipcard, your all-access pass to Zipcars and Zipvans across the globe.
- Fuel, insurance, Congestion Charge and 60 free miles per day
- An online reservation system so easy you can literally reserve a car in sixty seconds
- Free apps for iPhone™ and Android™: find and reserve Zipcars from your iPhone™ or Android™. (You can even honk the horn and unlock the doors!)
- SMS service: extend your reservation in seconds, and get reminders at the beginning and end of your reservation (optional)
- Universal membership: you can reserve Zipcars worldwide or Avancars in Spain.
- 24/7 roadside assistance and member services hotline
- Convenient, online account management
- Discounts from our many partners, a network of true-believing local businesses
- The cool confidence that comes from knowing you live a responsible, eco-friendly lifestyle
Who is eligible to become a Zipcar member?
To be eligible, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old (or 19 years old, if joining with an affiliated Business or University)
- If under 21 years of age, have held a full driving licence for at least 2 years with no convictions or accidents.
- If under 25 years of age, and in possession of non-EU licence, issuing country must be either be USA or a designated reciprocal country.
- If under 25 years of age, you may have to successfully complete a short online module, to assess awareness of driving risk and ensure that you understand zipcar’s 6 Simple Rules.
- If over 75 years of age have two years driving experience in the last 5 years with no accidents or claims in that time.
- Have a driving record that meets the following requirements:
- Have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 12 months.
- Have no more than 6 penalty points on your driving licence.
- If under 30 years of age have no more than 3 penalty points on your driving licence.
- Have no major endorsements.
- Have had no major violations in the past three years.
- Have had no alcohol or drug related violations in the past seven years.
- AC – Accident offences, including failing to stop and give particulars
- BA – Driving whilst disqualified
- CD – Driving without due care / causing death
- DD – Dangerous/Furious driving
- DR – Drink or drugs / failing to provide a specimen
- IN – Driving uninsured against 3rd Party
- LC – Driving otherwise than in accordance with licence
- MS50,80, 90 – Motor racing, failure to provide eyesight test & failure to give identity of driver
- UT50 – Aggravated taking of vehicle
- TT99 – Totting up of points
If the endorsement is spent, it no longer applies.
Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, Hong Kong, Japan, Jersey, Monaco, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.
Is mileage included?
Reservations lasting 24 hours or shorter:
- 60 miles included
- £0.25 for each additional mile (up to £0.29 for premium vehicles and cargo vans)
Reservations exceeding 24 hours:
- 60 miles included for each 24-hour period
- 10 miles included for each additional hour of your reservation until you reach 60 miles
- £0.25 for each additional mile (up to £0.29 for premium vehicles and cargo vans)
*Mileage included varies by country: reservations in the US include up to 180 miles; Canada up to 200 kilometers; UK up to 60 miles; and Spain up to 80 kilometers.
Who pays for fuel?
What type of cars do you have?
Can I drive on the same day that I join?
Can I make a one-way trip in a Zipcar?
How do I reserve a car after I get my Zipcard?
I’m a Streetcar member, how do I convert my account to Zipcar?
If your Streetcar membership has expired, simply join Zipcar as a new member.
How long does it take to become a member?
Not very long at all. You can go from joining to driving in minutes. Here's how it works:
- You fill out a few details online.
- We call you back to check your details and confirm you're eligible to join.
- You get an email confirming your login details - your're in!
- You can reserve and unlock Zipcars straight away with our mobile apps and remote unlock service.
- Your Zipcard arrives 3-7 days later.
Do you have to apply online?
How old do I have to be to join Zipcar?
How does the 30-day trial period work?
It's not too good to be true. We just know you are going to love Zipcar so we are willing to give you a guarantee. Here are the rules:
- Trial applies only to the annual fee.
- If a coupon is redeemed and membership is cancelled within 30 days, the coupon becomes void and all driving will be charged to the member.
- Trial does not apply toward any driving cost.
- Trial not valid for accounts with a discounted rate plan (this includes, but is not limited to, Zipcar as an HR benefit, sponsored plans, and university memberships).
- 30 days start once your membership application has been submitted to Zipcar.
If you sadly choose to relinquish your membership within the first 30 days, redeem your annual fee by calling 0333 240 9000.
Do you offer corporate rates or membership?
Do you offer household or family memberships?
All household members are on the same driving plan and all charges will be billed to the first member's credit card.
If someone in your household is already a member and you want to join under their account, search here.
Will a car be available when I want one?
For how long can I reserve a Zipcar?
If you'd like to keep a car for more than seven days, you can call us and we'll do our best to find one. Please understand that due to availability, location and other factors, we cannot guarantee reservations longer than seven days.
Can I reserve a Zipcar by the hour or by the day?
Some Zipcars are "hourly only." We've added these at several busy locations to give members better access to cars for local trips. Hourly only Zipcars do not have daily rates. You can tell if a Zipcar is hourly only by checking the find cars page. If the daily rate appears as "N/A," it's an hourly only car. Members will simply be charged the hourly rate times the number of hours the car is reserved for (plus tax, and any other applicable fees like toll charges).
Can I use my mobile phone to make a reservation?
How far in advance can I book a car?
Where are the cars located?
How do I get into a Zipcar?
How do I get the keys?
Remember, your Zipcard gives you and ONLY you access to the vehicle when it's your turn to drive. It unlocks and locks the doors and ignition. So that's why we can leave the keys inside the car.
Do you have roadside assistance?
Does the car come with baby seats?
Are there roof racks on the cars?
Do Zipcars have automatic or manual transmissions?
Away From Home
Can I use Zipcars in other Zipcar cities?
If I reserve a Zipcar in the UK, can I drive it abroad?
What happens if I return a car late?
So, when you're making your reservation, book the car for an extra half-hour or hour if you have any doubt about being able to make it back on time. You can also extend your reservation with our automated telephone system (0333 240 9000), via SMS or from the iPhone or Android app. Keep in mind that it's not always possible to extend your reservation once you have the car — another member may well have already reserved it!
What happens if I get a parking ticket or other violation?
Can someone who is not a member drive a Zipcar?
Can someone who is a member drive a Zipcar during another member's reservation?
How are the cars cleaned?
If a car is dirty upon arrival for your reservation, we ask you to call us and report it. We'll do our best to get you into a different car, or you can use the Zipcar fuel card to pay for a cleaning (and we'll pick up the tab).
Can I smoke in the car?
Can I take my pet in the car?
Assistance animals used by disabled members or passengers with disabilities are an exception. These animals are allowed in the car without a pet carrier.
Driving Rates, Billing and Fees
What are the rates for the cars?
If you have an hourly reservation that ends up costing more than the day rate for the car, we'll automatically charge you the lower price. Yet another Zipcar nicety.
How do I pay for Zipcar?
What other fees are involved?
As you might expect, you will be charged fees if you do not adhere to the basic membership guidelines. For instance, if you return the car back late (a very big no-no) you will be charged a fee (as someone may be waiting for the car you're returning). The Zipcar mantra — treat people (and our cars) the way you want to be treated. Read more about potential fees.
Oh, and of course, as with almost anything else, there are local taxes. These taxes include sales tax in the US and GST and PST in Canada. (Rates in the UK already include VAT.) In some areas there may be fixed taxes of $1 or more as follows:
- Arizona: $2.50 minimum Maricopa County Rental Surcharge
- Boston, MA: The Massachusetts Convention Center Financing Fee is added as an annual $10 fee, one time per member year, for all members who reserve and drive a car that is located inside the city limits of Boston. Learn more.
- Chicago, IL: A $2.75 Lessor Tax is added to each full day reservation. (This does not apply to hourly reservations of members with personal accounts.)
- Cleveland, OH: $6 for all reservations over 4 hours
- Connecticut: $1 per day Tourism Surcharge
- Florida: $2.16 per day Florida Rental Car Surcharge
- Kansas City, MO: $4.31 for daily reservations
- New Jersey: A $5.00 New Jersey Domestic Security Fee is added to each reservation for cars used in New Jersey. Learn more.
- New Mexico: $2.00 per day Leased Vehicle Surcharge
- Pennsylvania: The PA Public Transportation Assistance Fund of $2.00 is added to each reservation.
- Pittsburgh, PA: The Allegheny County Rental Vehicle Tax of $2.00 is added to each reservation.
- West Virginia: $1 per day West Virginia Rental Tax.
Insurance and Vehicle Damage
What's the deal with insurance?
If you do have an incident with your Zipcar during your reservation, we may have to charge you a damage fee of up to £750 (£1,000 for higher risk members). Members aged 21+ have the option to purchase a damage fee waiver to reduce that amount or to eliminate it altogether.
If there are injuries and/or property damage to another party, you are covered while using a Zipcar by a loss and liability policy. This coverage extends to losses arising from an accident in which a Zipcar driver and vehicle are involved. We provide coverage for damage to the vehicles, other property and injured parties.
Zipcar's insurance coverage does not extend to members in any vehicle other than a Zipcar. A non-member driving a Zipcar is not covered as well. Unfortunately, we will revoke membership if we learn about unauthorised use. If you have questions about the insurance we provide relative to your particular circumstances, we recommend that you consult with a licensed insurance agent and put them in contact with us at email@example.com if needed.
What is a damage fee?
If you're aged 21+, and have had no accidents in the last 12 months, you have the option to purchase a damage fee waiver when you sign up for Zipcar. Depending on which waiver you choose, you can reduce your damage fee or eliminate it altogether.
Will my credit card cover my damage fee?
Will my personal car insurance cover my damage fee?
Can a Zipcar membership help me get discounts on personal auto insurance?
what's different for higher risk members?
For members under 25, there's an extra driving charge of £1.50/hr or £18/day (which expires after 15 damage-free trips with the club). You're also restricted from reserving certain premium models.
who is in the higher risk category?
- you're aged 19-24
- you have four or more points on your licence
- you've had an accident in the last three years
Ready to make an impact?
how it works
- what's included
- frequently asked questions