As much fun as sitting on the sofa watching repeats of Dad’s Army with Aunt Barbara is at Christmas, there are plenty of fun and festive places to zip to over the Christmas and New Year holidays. We’ve rounded up our top 5.
1. The Hidden House, Westfield Stratford For a truly unique treat for slightly older kids (aged 8+), how about this immersive experience? Through a maze of rooms, storytellers and surprises, investigate the truth behind Red Riding Hood’s disappearance.
2. Vauxhall Christmas Tree Maze Covering a square kilometre of the revived Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens, this maze of locally sourced Nordmann Firs and twinkling with fairy-lights, rewards finishers with a Christmas guest. There’s also an ice rink, and a food and craft market.
3. Enchanted Christmas, Westonbirt Arboretum Not too far in a Bristol Zipcar, take a one mile stroll, gazing up at Westonbirt Arboretum's strikingly illuminated trees against the stark night’s sky, and appreciate these mighty structures in, quite literally, a whole new light.
4. Sledging on Box Hill, Surrey When snow does settle in Britain, Box Hill is hands down the best slope in the South East of England: steep enough to take you past the speed of sound, and popular among kids and young-hearted adults alike. But remember – drive carefully in snowy conditions and try to stick to roads that have been cleared.
Sledging on Box Hill and Zipcar's Christian shows you how it's not done (middle)
5. Ice Skating, Hampton Court Palace What could be more romantic than an evening pirouetting on the ice, bathed in the red brick glow of King Henry VIII splendorous home? Sessions on the Hampton Court rink are popular, so try to book ahead.
For more winter trip ideas and more, head to our Ziptours guide of places to see in Britain by Zipcar.